Friday, February 29, 2008

the middle child


Wow! It sure is fun (not to mention BUSY) being a Mom of 3! But I am so thankful for each of my children and am continually amazed at what they learn each day and what I learn from them. Here's just a couple updates and cute stories.

Rylee, the dear middle child, continues to be on my heart and need some extra prayers. As frustrating as her outbursts can be, I'm trying hard to see things through her perspective. Both Rylee and Anna LOVE to play together and usually play very well, but I'm noticing that it's usually Anna telling Rylee what to do, what to say, where to go, what to pretend. And Rylee usually does as she's told. And then along comes Noah constantly needing to be wherever Rylee is, trying to play with whatever Rylee is playing with, following her all over the house. No wonder she shoves him a few times a day! Yesterday, Rylee was in time out for pushing Noah (again). I was in Noah's bedroom consoling him. When the timer went off after 3 minutes (signaling an end to the time-out), I walked into the living room to find Anna talking to Rylee in the time-out bench. She was saying, "Rylee, I know it's sometimes frustrating having a younger brother, but you have to try to be patient with him and don't shove so much." Okay, I guess Anna's taking over my job! Today I was holding both Rylee and Noah and trying to talk through our "issues" and Rylee says, "Mom, Noah's hair smells funny. I don't like it. But I love Noah. I don't know why I push him so much." Oh, she's so sweet! I think she's really trying. It's just hard being the middle child!

One more funny thing she said (not related to Noah). I bought some new children's shampoo and she saw it in the bathroom and was asking about it because she noticed the picture of an elephant on the bottle. She asked, "Does it smell like Elephants?" Ooo.. Elephant-scented shampoo! That's one I haven't heard of! I did use it on Noah; maybe that's why his hair didn't smell good to Rylee!

By the way, the picture is of the 3 of them staring zombie-like at the TV, watching a movie together. I thought it was too funny!
PS--We took the kids to Lake Michigan tonight to see the icebergs. On the way, Rylee asked "Can the icebergs fly?" Ah...no. ??? When we got there, we said, "Rylee look at the ice bergs!" She tipped her head up and looked into the sky and said, "I can't see them." I think she was looking for ice BIRDS! :)

4 comments:

Karen R said...

Oh Dear...that is THE saddest picture ever...I am just cracking up! Those three kids are SOOOO hugable.
Karen

Hazel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hazel said...

I guess Rylee isn't the type of person to be a middle child. After all she is still very new to this whole being an older sister and all. And me I am used to it. It is hard having a yonger sibling following you around everywhere. But you have to relize that God gives us these blessings and sometimes we reject them or take them when we don't want them. And yet sometimes you have to live with it. Praise God that Rylee can have a chance to be the bigger person and teach kindness and learn from Anna too. Also praise God that the Sluiters won't lose Noah.

From Anna, Rylee, and Noahs Cousin,
Elise Dornbush :D

Julie said...

So, Joel and I are both middle children, so we can relate to Rylee's dilemma. We loved the two stories about elephant shampoo and the ice birds. How cute!!