Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rylee Goes to School

This afternoon was Rylee's first day of school.

I was reminded again of how radical the Spanish Immersion thing is. Here's these little 3-year-olds looking quizzically at their new teacher... a complete stranger at this point...speaking to them in some foreign language, trying to give them instructions. Most of them stared with blank faces and many had tears (including Rylee). As parents it makes you stop and think, "what are we doing!?" But then I think of Anna starting her 3rd year of El Puente and how much she understands and doesn't think anything of it when someone starts talking to her in Spanish and that gives much reassurance. Rylee seemed pretty scared and very shy the whole time, but then as we were walking out at the end of the day, before the tears were even dried off her little cheeks, she says, "I love school!" Then tonight she told Anna all about the puppets the teacher had and how she got to paint with her hands and I even heard her saying a word in Spanish to Noah: "amiga" (friend). What a blessing these precious children are, with minds like sponges!

Oh, and speaking of sponges, in the bath tonight, of course Rylee was back to her usually "spicy" self! :)


1 comment:

Karen R said...

What an absolute honey!!!