This past weekend, we had a very wet youth group retreat. We were supposed to be camping, but ended up instead in the youth room at Haven for 2 nights. I was so impressed with the flexibility of our teens and leaders and ability to have fun together no matter where we are, or what the weather is like. Our focus was on Jesus' sermon on the mount... especially the beatitudes and the Kingdom of God. We had some great discussion and awesome worship times. And some really wacky games (we learned that SPAM bounces!).
My heart was broken, though, for one of my students. It was her 16th birthday yesterday, so we tried to make it an extra-fun day for her. But she comes from a very rough family. She lives with Grandpa and Grandma. Her Mom is who-knows-where, and her dad is around, but beat her so badly last year that he spent some time in jail and now has a court order to stay away from his daughter. She was upset yesterday because she couldn't see her dad on her birthday. I hurt for this precious child who is so confused, so hurt, gets into so much trouble, but just longs for her Daddy's love. Terp shared a song with us this weekend that gave me a beautiful glimpse of when Jesus will come again to bring an end to all the pain and suffering in this world. It's a song called 'I Will Rise' from Chris Tomlin's new album:
I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagle's wings
Before my God, fall on my knees and rise
I will rise
1 comment:
Hi Amy,I'm glad I can read your blog again, I missed seeing it!!:) My heart breaks for that poor girl you were talking about, I'm sure she is very thankful to have you in her life! Terp told me about that song and I can't wait to hear it, I love Chris Tomlin's music!Kim
Post a Comment