Tuesday, August 5, 2008

You can have all this world; just give me Jesus

My heart is so heavy right now for the Busschers, a sweet young family from our church that laid to rest their 18-month-old daughter, Grace, today. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain of this loss and I sure don't understand why God would allow this to happen. But this is what I DO know:

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me will live, even though he dies." John 11:25

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:4

I pray (and ask you to join me) that Brian & Kathy may know and experience God's presence and love like never before. That He would flood them with a peace that passes all understanding. That they would know that Jesus conquered death and promises us that NOTHING (not even death itself) can separate us from His amazing love.

Sunday night at worship we sang the song, "Give Me Jesus." My heart echoes the words: "You can have all this world, but give me Jesus."

The youth group returned safely from Tijuana last Saturday. We praise God for a safe trip and many "Divine appointments" and ways that He worked in hearts. One of the things I noticed about the students is that their hearts have been broken to the poverty and injustices in the world. They see how much "stuff" we fill our lives with; how much we run around, and yet we can't find happiness. The people they met in Tijuana have next to nothing, but yet they have complete joy and peace because they have Jesus and that's all they need. When will we get it? Jesus is all we need. Grace's going to heaven reminds me that Jesus is really all that matters.

“Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fall, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:25-26

You can have all this world; just give me Jesus.

And Jesus, please come back quickly to mend broken hearts and Your broken world!