Do you ever have unrealistic fears? Things that you know could never really happen, but you find yourself worrying about them anyway? Let me give an example of one of my unrealistic fears:
During our adoption process, we had some realistic fears about all the government red tape we had to go through; fears that Noah might not ever come home to our family. Even after he did come home, those fears still lingered. "What if one of our forms wasn't filled out correctly?" "What if we get a phone call that his birth mother wants him back?" I was afraid that Noah might be taken away from us. But then, we got his new birth certificate, social security number, and finally his certificate of Citizenship! It was official... we were his parents and Noah Edwin Sluiter was a U.S. Citizen!
Then the unrealistic fears set in. I still worried about the government taking him away, even though everything was finalized. There was nothing to worry about, but yet it took me awhile to fully realize that. Eventually, after Noah had been home a couple of months, the unrealistic worries diminished.
Until a couple of days ago, that is. I opened the mailbox to find a letter from United States Citizenship and Immigration. Curious, I tore it open to read a 2-page document about how our "Application For Advanced Orphan Processing" was denied because we took longer than 18 months from when it was processed in July of 2006. It went on to explain that there is no chance to revoke or appeal this decision. On and on with jargon I didn't understand... 2 pages... the sweat is starting on my forehead, my stomach is churning, and those unrealistic fears are again right in the front of my mind. What if they take Noah away!? Then I get to the very last sentence: "If an I-600 has already been filed for this case, please disregard this notice."
Duh!! Yes, and I-600 has been filed for this case!! Yes, Noah is completely legal and completely ours and there's nothing any government can do to take him away!!! Yes, I plan to "disregard" the letter!!! Thank you very much, USCIS for reopening that fear and doubt!
I still don't understand why we received that letter (and almost a year later, no less!), but it has helped me to think about unrealistic fears versus fearing our Almighty, all-powerful, faithful God.
How often to I obsess about the future and things that are out of my control anyway? How much time to I spend worrying about if I did or said the right thing or offended someone? How much energy do I use trying to make sure everything is just the way I want it to be? How often do I worry that I won't please God or measure up, or that He'll maybe stop loving me because I'm not good enough?
God is teaching me (again) to completely surrender all of my unrealistic fears and doubts to Him. He's gently reminding me, like He always does, of His tender, perfect love for me and for all His children.
Isaiah 41:9b-10 "I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
I am God's child!! NOTHING can take me away from Him! Satan works so hard at getting us to fear... instilling those unrealistic thoughts and fears in our minds. But the truth is... we belong to Christ and NOTHING can separate us from His love!!
"God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear." (from I John 4)
"Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth--to every nation, tribe, language, and people. He said in a loud voice, 'Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgement has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water.'" Revelation 14:6-7
As we begin a new year, I pray that together we may put away our unrealistic fears and put all our fear in the Almighty God of the heavens and the earth.... in the One who is perfect LOVE and who drives out all fear.
1 comment:
Thanks Amy! What a great reminder.
Post a Comment