Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Giving Thanks in All Circumstances

Where to begin? 2012 has been full of all the things that make life happen: laughter, tears, silliness, solemn times, great friendships, work, faith, worship, energy, playing, eating, celebrations, sorrow, pain, and lots of joy. Through it all, God remains constant and faithful and Good. My sister recently shared a quote from Rick Warren that stuck with me:

I used to think that life was hills and valleys – you go through a dark time, then you go to the mountaintop, back and forth. I don’t believe that anymore. Rather than life being hills and valleys, I believe that it’s kind of like two rails on a railroad track, and at all times you have something good and something bad in your life. No matter how good things are in your life, there is always something bad that needs to be worked on. And no matter how bad things are in your life, there is always something good you can thank God for.

We're learning and seeking to cultivate THANKFUL hearts. To focus on God's grace, truth, and goodness, and to "give thanks in ALL circumstances."

This past weekend Brent and I (along with a couple of our friends) were able to compete in the Ludington Lighthouse Triathlon. All spring and summer involved lots of discipline and training and hard work. But it was so much fun and such an accomplishment. (Ask Brent who won!) We are so thankful for our health and an opportunity to do things like this together.

But at the same time, my heart is never far from my friend, Lindy, who is battling terminal cancer. It's not fair that I can be healthy and have fun being active and she's at home suffering and in pain. I simply don't like it and don't understand it. I sometimes feel guilty. I often wonder why God isn't answering our prayers. It's definitely much harder to be thankful in this situation. And yet, I thank God for Lindy's LIFE and the countless lives that she has touched through her beauty, grace, love, and sense of humor. I thank God that Lindy is secure in Christ and that NOTHING can separate her from Him. I thank God for the perfect plan He has for Dusty and Lindy, even though we can't understand it right now.

Our kids are such a blessing to us (when they're sleeping, that is. Just kidding!). They have a lot of energy and it's a lot of work being a parent, but it's also so much FUN! We celebrated Rylee's 7th Birthday back in January with a fun day at Post Family Farms. Noah turned 6 just a couple weeks ago and we had a fun trip to Lego Land in Schaumburg, IL. And Anna had her Golden Birthday...10 on the 10th of August and had a fun sleepover with some girlfriends. The kids have each lost a couple teeth this year, which we pull out "Sluiter-style" (with the RC car!). They are growing up so fast and we are so proud of them and thankful for each of their unique personalities and gifts! We thank God for entrusting each of them to us!

Then I think of family and friends who struggle with kids. Some that long to be parents and can't. Others that have rebellious or ill children. Friends that have children that have gone ahead to heaven and their hearts are left with a gaping hole. Again, many hard situations in which it's hard to cultivate that thankful heart. But yet, I'm thankful for what these friends have taught me through their struggles and pain and thankful for the opportunity God has given me to reach out and extend His grace and love. And I'm thankful for that perfect plan of God, even when we can't always see it.

And so, in this life where joy and pain run parallel, my prayer is that I may continue to put all my hope and trust in Jesus Christ and that I may shine His light to the world....no matter the circumstance!

I end with sharing this prayer from my devotional "Seeking God's Face" by Philip Reinders:

"Good God, thank you that this life is not a random roll of the dice, but is watched over by your favor and fatherly care. That's easy to confess when the wind is at my back and the sun is on my face; give me the same trust in your will when the circumstances of life turn tragic and are tearstained. Let me understand that even then I am kept by you. In Christ's name, amen."

3 comments:

Karen R said...

Beautiful words Amy. Amen.

Harv and Kathy said...

Amen to your thoughts, Amy. And thankful with you that through the good and the bad God is ever with us and sovereign.

Mme MaKhotso said...

I really like the train track analogy and feel like I can relate to that a lot here at BG! Thanks for sharing your heart and for the love and encouragement you show so many others when they are going through tough times.