Sunday, September 12, 2010

Refuse to Worry

We have a lot of NEW things going on here... New school year, new job for me, new work hours for Brent... and a ton of details to juggle!!

I started a new job (in addition to my part-time youth ministry job at Haven). I'm the program director for Compassionate Heart Ministries, a drop-in center for students ages 14-26 with special needs. Compassionate Heart is open every Tues and Thurs from 3-8pm and it's amazing to see about 25 participants as well as the same amount of mentors come each Tues and Thurs! It's truly a place that exemplifies unconditional love and grace and a place where everyone feels welcome. It's a joy and an honor to be part of such a great ministry!

We also kicked off our youth group year today with a leaders' retreat and a parent meeting and we're working toward our big retreat with the students next weekend. I'm really excited about this ministry, too, and am so blessed that I can do two jobs that I love!

Brent starts tonight his new work hours. He will be on 12-hour shifts: 7pm to 7am. He'll work 4 days one week and 3 days the next week. It's all something very simple, such as: work 2 days, off 1 day, work 3 days, off 2 days, work 2 days, off 3 days... okay, it's not really simple at all and I have no idea how I'm going to keep it all straight! And I feel sorry for him because sleeping is going to be very difficult! But the great thing is that he'll be home/awake each day from 3:30-6:00, whether or not he's working, so he can get the kids off the bus (since I'll be working!), and we can hopefully have more family time than when he's on 2nd shift.

Noah went back to school ... he goes every afternoon (except Friday... I learned as I accidentally sent him last Friday...ooops!) to the Early Childhood Center (ECC) in the "Duck Room" and just loves it! He receives speech and physical therapy and has such great teachers! I'm so proud of him for his hard work and determination! This coming week he'll start going to Zeeland Christian Preschool on Tues and Fri mornings, in addition to his time at ECC. Quite the little scholar we have on our hands!

Rylee started Kindergarten last week. She jumped on the bus without thinking twice about her bus transfer, or where to go, or what to do once she got to school, or anything (quite different from her big sister). She is just so excited to ride the bus with the big kids and go to school all day and take her lunch! She goes on Mon, Thurs and every-other Wednesday. She's in the "Turtle Room" at ECC with Mrs. Vruggink and absolutely loves it!

And then there's Anna, our little worrier. She started 2nd grade at New Groningen...she has several friends in her class and her teacher, Mrs. Pratt, is amazing! But Anna struggles greatly with anxiety. She worries about every little detail and possible problem that might arise. Each morning begins with about an hour of crying, and even sending her on the bus in tears. It breaks my heart because I know she's not being manipulative, and she tries so hard to be brave. I've been in much communication with the teacher and she assures me it's getting better ("The first day she cried for 2 hours and the 2nd day was only 1 hour.") Yikes! And she spends time each day in the Principal's office for reassurance (and probably so she doesn't disturb or upset the class). By the way, New Groningen has a new principal this year, Laurie Poll, and we're so thankful for an answered prayer for a Christian principal to replace Mr. Shoettle who retired last year. Mrs. Poll is amazing and just loves the kids! So I'm so thankful that she's there to comfort and help Anna.

But what do I do to help her? I've tried being sensitive to her needs, consoling her, etc. I've tried being tough with her. I've tried reward charts. We've memorized several Bible verses/ songs/ prayers about "do not fear," etc. I know it will just take time. This same thing happened in 1st grade and lasted until about mid-November. But she's naturally a worrier. Just to give a glimpse of how bad it is: She cried on the night before her birthday a month ago. She was upset because 8 was going to be new... how would it feel? "I like being 7; I don't want to grow up," she told me. She was truly upset and literally cried herself to bed that night.

And then, of course, the doubt comes in to my mind. "What am I doing wrong as a parent to make her worry so much?" Then my thoughts turn to worry, which only perpetuates the problem.

And so, I turn to God, because after all, that's all any of can do, right? His ways are so much higher than ours! I know that He hears our prayers, He knows our pain, He's always there to see us through the tough times. And He doesn't want us to worry...He wants us to accept that He's paid the price for us, that nothing can separate us from His love, and He wants us to be free to enjoy this life He's created for us!

If you still feel like reading (sorry, this is getting long!), I wanted to share a page from my new favorite devotional, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.

"Trust me and refuse to worry, for I am your Strength and Song. You are feeling wobbly this morning, looking at difficult times looming ahead, measuring them against your own strength. However, they are not today's tasks--or even tomorrow's. So leave them in the future and come home to the present, where you will find Me waiting for you. Since I am your Strength, I can empower you to handle each task as it comes. Because I am your Song, I can give you Joy as you work alongside Me.

Keep bringing your mind back to the present moment. Among all My creatures, only humans can anticipate future events. This ability is a blessing, but it becomes a curse whenever it is misused. If you use your magnificent mind to worry about tomorrow, you cloak yourself in unbelief. However, when the hope of heaven fills your thoughts, the Light of My Presence envelopes you. Though heaven is future, it is also present tense. As you walk in the Light with Me, you have one foot on earth and one foot in heaven."

Jesus: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amy thanks for blogging, I enjoy reading about your family and how things are going with you guys. Thanks for your devotional and insight, I found it encouraging!
Hope your schedule settles down and everyone can get used to new fall routines!
God bless!

Anonymous said...

We just met with Dr. Bulten in Grand Rapids for an anti anxiety med for our seven year old on an "as needed basis". The daily one we tried first made him dangerous and over confident (he truely experienced the opposite of fear--NOT GOOD!), so we're trying just to use it at church (sunday school anxiety), at dr. offices, and new settings where he's being dropped off. I completely understand how you feel. Somehow it's "normal" to drop off a two year old who cries for mom, but not someone older. I get it completely.

JanaZ. said...

Would she qualify to talk to the school counselor? Also social stories that you make that show where you will be and what you will be doing and where she will be and what she will be doing. ( Cut the paper almost in half on the pages that you are showing activities apart from one another. Don't cut the paper on the activities you are together for. Also, since we let our son stay home on Wed. nights and let him stay in church with us during church, he has not been causing a huge problem with going to school.