Saturday, May 24, 2008

Beloved

It's been a hard couple of weeks trying to maintain a healthy balance in my life. I'm needed as "Mom," "Wife" (okay, thankfully Brent doesn't call me "wife!" but you know...), "youth leader," "Friend," "Daughter," "Sister," "Neighbor," etc. etc. etc. It just was getting too overwhelming, trying to do it all myself and to be all things for all people. After a conversation with some friends and a ton of prayer and reflection, God told me to simply allow myself to be what He created me to be: "Beloved" (BTW, that's what my name, Amy, means). God loves me exactly how I am right now, and He loves who I am right now. I long to be "better" every day: to be a better Mom, wife, youth leader, daughter, etc etc. but I've been putting way too much pressure on myself. I simply CAN'T do it. Only Christ can be those things perfectly for me. I've finally been able to release it all to Him and allow Christ's righteousness to cover me, and to know that He wants me to have JOY. The joy I have in Him is the strength that gets me through each day. Just as much as Christ longs for me to have joy, Satan wants to steal my joy. I recognize that I've been believing a lot of his lies and that I've been allowing him to steal my joy. But by acknowledging those areas where I've believed the lies, there has been a release and a freedom. I will NOT let him steal my joy any longer! God has blessed me with an amazing husband and three beautiful children, a great extended family, caring friends and church family. We have a nice house, a great church, and countless freedoms living here in the USA. I'm so very thankful to the Lord for all of these things and loving people in my life. And yet, even if all those things & people were taken away, I would still have joy because those things aren't the source of my joy. Only Jesus can give me the joy that we all long for. I have been given the most amazing gift of all when God offered me the unearned gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. And NOTHING can separate me from that love Christ has for me. So I don't need to go a million miles an hour every day trying to be everything to everyone. I am learning to simply be myself, "beloved," and to enjoy the roles God has given me as "Mom," "Wife," "Sister," "Daughter," "Friend," etc. etc.
For those of you that have had no idea the struggle that I've been going through, I'm sorry that I haven't been completely honest with you. Sometimes it's just easier to put on a mask and pretend every thing's okay, you know? For those of you that might be feeling some of the same things, please talk to me (or someone else you trust), okay? I truly believe that God is up to something big in our community and that Satan is working harder than ever to stop God's plans. So as believers, we need to unite together and be completely honest and authentic with ourselves and each other. I hope you know how very dearly you are loved by the Father (your Creator) and that He longs for you to have an abundant life, full of all the joy that is available to you in Christ!
Thank you for listening to (reading) my heart.
Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI AMY,
I READ YOUR LETTER JUST HANG IN THERE YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB IN EVERY THING YOUR DOING IT SEEM HARD SOME TIMES AND YOU WANT TO GIVE UP AND YOUR TIERD AND ALL BUT I HAVE A SAYING THAT THINGS ONLY GET SO HARD SO LONG AND IT WILL GET BETTER AGAIN JUST HANG IN THERE AND GOD BLESS YOU IN EVERY THING YOU DO I LOVE AND MISS YOU TONS PAMMYO.

Karen R said...

Hi dear sister,
Thanks for sharing what's been going on. I think all of us have struggled at some point. And you are right about putting on our masks. The thing about masks though, is God can see right through them. And that's good because He also knows what you need while He feels your unrest.
I am glad you are concentrating on being beloved...because you are.
And please know that I love you very much and am blessed to have you as a sister. From the day Mom told me I had a little sister, I just thought the sun rose and set in your eyes. I still think that.
You are a sweet and beautiful person.

Mary said...

Amy-
You are such a brave woman... thank you for your courage to admit that you cannot make it own your own and for asking others to join you on this journey. My prayers are surrounding you and lifting you up to our Heavenly Father. He knows your hurt, your struggle and your pain and He can be your healing balm. May He wrap his arms around you and give you a sense of His presence, peace and comfort.
Much love!